Rare Book School
Preliminary Reading List
- Allen, Sue. "Floral-patterned Endpapers in Nineteenth-Century American Books," in
Winterthur Portfolio 12 (1977): 183-224.
- ______. "Machine-Stamped Bookbindings, 1834-1860," in Antiques 115 (March 1979): 564-572; reprinted in
Guild of Book Workers Journal 18 (1979-80): 1-23.
- Allen, Sue and Charles Gullans. Decorated Cloth in America: Publishers' Bindings, 1840-1910. Los Angeles: William Andrews Clark Memorial Library, 1994.
- Ball, Douglas. Victorian Publishers' Binding. Williamsburg, VA: Bookpress, 1985.
- Comparato, Frank E.
Books for the Millions. Harrisburg, PA: Stackpole, 1971.
- Gaskell, Philip.
A New Introduction to Bibliography. London: Oxford University Press, 1972; corr edn 1974; several times reprinted, most
recently (2009) by Oak Knoll Books: 146-153 (“Binding”); 230-250 ("Edition Binding").
- Gullans, Charles B. and John J. Espey. "American Trade Bindings and Their Designers 1880-1915," in
Collectible Books, Jean Peters, ed. New York: Bowker, 1979: 32-67.
- Krupp, Andrea. Bookcloth in England and America, 1823-50. New Castle and London: Oak Knoll Press and The British Library, 2008.
- McLean, Ruari. Victorian Publishers' Book-Bindings in Cloth and Leather. Berkeley: University of CA, 1973
- Miller, Julia. Books Will Speak Plain: A Handbook for Identifying and Describing Historical Bindings. Ann Arbor, MI: Legacy Press, 2010. Chapter 4 (135-191).
- Morris, Ellen. The Art of Publishers' Bookbindings, 1815–1915. Los Angeles: William Daley Rare Books, Ltd., .
- Spawn, Willman and Thomas Kinsella. American Signed Bindings Through 1876. New Castle and Bryn Mawr: Oak Knoll Press and Bryn Mawr College Library, 2007.
- Wolf, Edwin, 2d.
From Gothic Windows to Peacocks: American Embossed Leather Bindings, 1825-1855 (Philadelphia: Library Company, 1990).