Rare Book School
Preliminary Reading List
A History of the Book in America, Volume 1: The Colonial Book in the Atlantic World, ed. Hugh Amory & David D. Hall, (Worcester & Cambridge: American Antiquarian Society & Cambridge University Press, 2000, Reprinted in paper by University of North Carolina Press). See especially chapters 1 and 3 (by Hugh Amory), chapter 2 (by David Hall), chapters 6 and 8 (by James Green), and chapter 7 (by Calhoun Winton).
- A History of the Book in America, Volume 2: An Extensive Republic: Print, Culture, and Society in the New Nation, ed. Robert A. Gross & Mary Kelley (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2010). See especially Introduction (by Robert Gross), chapter 2 (by James Green).
- Gaskell, Philip. A New Introduction to Bibliography. New Castle DE: Oak Knoll Press, 1995). See especially pp. 5-250.
- Joyce, William L., et al., eds. Printing and Society in Early America. (Worcester: American Antiquarian Society, 1983). See especially pp. 48-185.
- Remer, Rosalind, Printers and Men of Capital: Philadelphia Book Publishers and the New Republic. (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1996).
- Silver, Rollo G. The American Printer, 1787-1825. (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1967).
- Wroth, Lawrence C. The Colonial Printer. (Portland: Southworth-Anthoensen Press, 1938).