Rare Book School
Preliminary Reading List
Please read the following books, which provide background for the topics that we will explore in class.
- James M. Reilly, Care and Identification of c19 Photographic Prints. Rochester, NY: Photographic Products Group, Eastman Kodak Company, 1986. This book is currently out of print, and the few copies currrently listed on the internet used book sites are very expensive. Copies may be available through interlibrary loan. Students should consult this book if they can, because there is little else like it.
- Brian Coe, Colour Photography - The First Hundred Years 1840 -1940. Ash & Grant Ltd., London, 1978. Though most of this book is not about color print processes (especially more modern ones), there is still valuable information here, especially about early color prints.
In addition, there are a number of standard and in-print histories of photography, worth consulting ad lib., including:
- Gernsheim, Helmut. A concise history of photography (3rd rev edn; 1st edn 1955). NY: Dover, 1986.
- Mulligan, Therese, and David Wooters, eds. A history of photography: from 1839 to the present; the George Eastman House Collection (25th anniv edn; 1st edn 1980). Cologne: Taschen Books, 2005.
- Newhall, Beaumont. History of photography: from 1839 to the present (5th edn, frequently rep; 1st edn 1937). Boston: Bulfinch, 1982.
- Rosenblum, Naomi. A world history of photography (4th edn; 1st edn 1984). New York, Abbeville Press, 2008.