Rare Book School
Preliminary Reading List
N.B. 2015 updates to this reading list are coming soon
Please read/become familiar with the following before coming to Charlottesville. The first and last titles are reference works of sufficient importance to special collections librarianship to merit rote memorization.
- Carter, John. ABC for Book Collectors. 8th edn, by John Carter and Nicolas Barker. New Castle, DE: Oak Knoll Press; London: British Library, 2004. Also available directly from Oak Knoll Books.
- “Competencies for Special Collections Professionals.” ACRL Guidelines. ACRL, 2008.
- Celebrating Research: Rare and Special Collections from the Membership of the Association of Research Libraries. Introduction by Nicolas Barker. Washington, DC: ARL, 2008. Also available online. Read the introduction; browse the contents.
- Dimunation, Mark. “Red Wine and White Carpets: What We Didn’t Learn in Library School, or When the Dog and Pony Goes Bad.” RBM: A Journal of Rare Books, Manuscripts, and Cultural Heritage 7, No. 1 (2006): 73-84.
- “Special Collections in ARL Libraries: A Discussion Report from the ARL Working Group on Special Collections.” ARL, March 2009.
- Your Old Books. RBMS Publications Committee, 2005 Revision.